Thursday, March 26, 2009

Finding Buddha's Lost Children

After an absolutely incredible experience at the Gibbon Experience (deserves its own blog entry another day) and a quick visit to Luang Namtha to look at the road and scenary (in preparation for my next ride here and because I was so close), I looked into visiting the Temple of the Golden Horse, a monastery in the mountains near the Burma border, close to me and featured in the documentary entitled "Buddha's Lost Children" which Sharon and I saw at the Rafael last year or so. When I realized how close it was to me and that it was basically the same direction I was already traveling, I made the most direct path I could manage to go there.

I made it to the temple this morning by motor bike. The motor bike driver overcharged me, but it was so worth it because the road is very hard to follow and find. I'm in the middle of feeling so awe inspired to have had the opportunity to visit. On my way in, I actually saw the group of boys mounted on their horses and riding while singing. I believe they were returning from collecting alms. I followed them down a dirt path down a fairly steep hillside and into the main temple compound where there was a group of Thai tourists (I later found came all the way from Bangkok, some from Southern Thailand, to visit the center) awaiting the boys' return. I met and spoke with the main nun featured in the film and kindly had translation from another nun who has been at the center for four years and who speaks excellent English. Sadly, the abbot, Phra Khru Bah Neua Chai Kositto, was away meditating in the forest for a few days in lead up to a festival which will begin on March 30 and last for ten days and in which he will be leading over 150 children (with lots of community support). They invited me to return for the festival and extended the invitation to return to volunteer at the center and to learn Thai, kickboxing and meditation. Seeing the center and meeting these people who have near mythic status in this country, I can't tell you how tempting that sounds. I told them it would not be possible at this time, but it's certainly on my mind. I may rearrange my final travels in this country to make the festival on the 30th. It means a lot more bus time and a little less exploring, but it would be such a tremendous privelage and honor to meet Kositto.

I would highly recommend seeing the film (http://www.buddhaslostchildren.com/), which tells the story of this place and the monk and nun who run it and the work they undertake. The temple works with villages along the violent and quite chaotic Thai/Burma border. It accepts young boys, some of whom are already addicted to drugs, teaches them meditation, kickboxing (the traditional form which is not about violence, but about strength of character, the nun told me), Thai culture, normal school subjects and helps them to stay away from drugs and violence. They operate temples all along the border and have the mission of creating peace in this chaotic place. Kositto, a former Thai kickboxing champion, has been at the center for a long time and, like I said, has near mythic status in this country because of his work. He has mad many enemies, though, the nun told me, because of the work they do in helping people turn away from drugs and end their addictions. I really do believe these people are the real deal, present day saints, if you will.

It is highly likely I will return there, if I can manage my schedule and if I'm able to remember the way. It would be worth it simply to shake the hand of the abbot or to bow to him with highest respects.

Wow!

No comments: