Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Skipping ahead a bit

Hey folks,

I promise I'm gonna catch up my ride log, but I just wanted to put a shout out that I'm back in Bangkok. The cycling portion of my trip officially ended in Hanoi after more than 2800 amazing kilometers of pedaling in three countries. I made the call that both my bike and my body were telling me that this was enough mileage for this trip. I was really pushing for 3200 kms and the 2000 mile mark, but with slippage in the cog set (and no real parts available in Hanoi...I'd have to travel to China and there was no guarantee they'd have what I need) and some creaks in my body, I decided that the Northern ride would have to wait until next time. I talked with a really great tour guide (who in his free time loves motor biking all over his country) and he kindly hipped me to the best cycling spots in North Vietnam and the route he gave me could easily occupy a month or two (with typical stops to gawk at amazing scenary I love to make). This, along with the fact that I didn't give Laos nearly as much time as it truly deserves, ensures that a follow up ride is certainly called for. Perhaps next time, I'll be pedaling with one of you folks!

So, my bike is safely packed away in its bike box and I'm officially a true farang traveler, stuck on the bus, train, tuk tuk, songtao, etc. I really still feel the urge to pedal, so I'm going to be renting bikes in the places I visit for the remainder of my time.

I head next back to the Northern border with Thailand and Laos to go on the Gibbon Experience trip (http://www.gibbonx.org/). I'll then move on from there to spend a little more time in the far north of Laos and Thailand before returning to BKK to prep for my trans-Pacific journey back to lovely San Francisco.

I understand spring has sprung back in California. I look forward to returning home to my love, my cat and my garden. As soon as I can, I'm going to go back, edit and add photos to the blog. At that point, I'll put up a message that I've done so so you'll know to go back and look through the blog. Cheers for now!

No comments: