Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Re-Cyclery, My Godsend

Gotta love the Re-Cyclery in San Rafael!!! I thought I was going to have to schlep all over SE Asia with my freehub making the grinding sounds its been making for the past year or so. It's been starting to wear down and, though still functioning quite well, makes an awful sound when I coast.

My bike being quite old as far as bikes go, I scoured the internet to find a replacement part. At first, I found it only at a shop in London...no way! Thanks to Sheldon Brown's website, I found another part back east. BUT, I thought I'd give the Re-Cyclery a look before I order a not quite so necessary part for a not quite so cheap price from not quite so nearby. Low and behold, the Re-Cyclery had five!!!! I got a lightly used one, installed it and now enjoy a nice silent ride! To make things better, I paid almost nothing for it (thanks fellas!).

I'm very thankful we have such a lovely and helpful resource so nearby. If you live in town or are cycling through, be sure to stop by and check them out, it's a great spot to get a used bike and funds go to several great causes:

http://www.tripsforkids.org/thrift.htm

1 comment:

So Far said...

Jamie, the page (and trip) sound amazing. I like the look and the feel of the page and am glad you decided to try it on.
Good luck in your travels. Be talking with you before you go but wanted to say it in writing - it looks cool.