Friday, December 19, 2008

RIDE DAY: Sukhothai Siteseeing


12/17/08
Day: 29.62km
Cumulative: 197.3
Ride Time: 2h 12m
Highs: Simply amazing. Rode into the park around 6:30 to avoid the heat, met some lovely travelers from Spain and Argentina and chatted a bit, feeling better, afternoon nap in the park
Lows: FashionTV the ONLY English language station on my TV box

I'm not really sure what to say about this day. I'm going to have to let the snap shots and photographs (to be posted soon on Flickr) speak for me. This day in its entirity was rather breathtaking. There is a reason UNESCO granted this site the status of World Heritage Site. On this day, I specifically visited the three sites right near old Sukhothai that make up part of the larger Sukhothai National Historic Park which has multiple sites over many square kilometers.



Sukhothai

ancient pillars
built to hold up the sky
house only pigeons now




----


these birds' ancestors
sang similar songs
when ours lived here


----


so much prayerful
hand work abandoned in the
Sukhothai forest


----



At first I thought that Ayyutaya caught my interest more, but Sukhothai really caught me later in the day when I stumbled upon an absolutely amazing ruin to the North next to 
which a nunery and monastery still thrive. The whole thing was surrounded by a huge moat, 
offering many excellent points of viewing reflections of structures and the forest in the water. I tried my best to photograph this place, but I believe its grandeur defies any sort of photographic technology.


A quick note on cuisine: I ate a dish called "Mad Fish" that really intrigued me. Battered and deep fried fish (no idea what kind) topped with some sort of pickled apple and carrot mixture with spices with a very complex flavor. Very tasty.


----


looking in the mirror behind the mirror
I see things as they are
myself looking in the mirror

No comments: